Jessica Barnhart has over 10 years of preclinical research experience. She joined NAMSA in March 2021 via its acquisition of American Preclinical Services, LLC (APS). She started at APS in April of 2011 and progressed from a Surgical Technician to her current role as Surgeon. As a Surgical Technician, she gained experience prepping preclinical models for surgery, monitoring vitals intra-procedure, managing anesthesia and recovering patients after procedure. She advanced her skills through on-site experience and continuing her education.
Ms. Barnhart received her Bachelor Degree in Veterinary Technology and was nationally certified as a Veterinary Technician in 2009. She holds her Surgical Research Anesthetist (SRA) certification through the Academy of Surgical Research and served in the Minnesota Army National Guard as a combat medic.
- 5+ years of experience performing endoscopic procedures in a variety of preclinical models while also serving as a Surgical Consultant for endoscopic studies
- Extensive experience as a perfusionist with multiple models and device types, including: mitral and tricuspid valve replacement, Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG), Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)
- Provides ongoing training to surgical technicians and other operators on endoscopic procedures, surgical prep and intubation
- Veterinary technician skills: venous and arterial catheter placement, intubation
- Gastrointestinal (GI) flexible endoscopy procedures involving esophagus, stomach, duodenum, colon
- Respiratory therapies and procedures including bronchoscopy of air pathways, bronchial stents and pulmonary stents
- Interventional and surgical experience including vascular stents, drug coated balloons (DCBs), programmable pumps, wound healing therapies, vessel sealing and hemostatic agent